Its comfort food time at home these days and tomato dal is my first choice I'd opt for. I love this simple yet tasty flavor dish that goes well with chapati or steamed rice accompanied with potato fry. Here goes the recipe ....
What we need ....
Toor Dal (kandipappu) - 1 cup
Tomatoes - 6 (finely chopped)
Fenugreek seeds - 1/4 tsp
Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
Garlic - 4 cloves (crushed)
Chilly powder - 3/4 tsp
Coriander powder - 1 tsp
Green Chillies - 4 (slit lengthwise)
Tamarind pulp - 2 tbsps (thick pulp)
Oil - 2 tbsp
Salt to taste
For the popu/tadka
Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
Fenugreek seeds - 1 tsp
Curry leaves - 1 sprig
Asofoetida powder - 1 tsp
Coriander leaves - 1 small bunch finely chopped for garnish
1. Wash dal, add 3 cups of water, turmeric, 1/4 tsp fenugreek seeds, 1 tsp of oil, and pressure cook till soft. Once cooked mash dal and set aside.
2. Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a sauce pan. Add mustard seeds and fenugreek seeds (1tsp), as they start spluttering add curry leaves, garlic, green chillies and asofoetida powder.
3. Lower the flame and add chopped tomatoes.
5. Add mashed dal, tamarind pulp. Add water if the consistency of dal is thick. Cook for 4 mts on medium flame. Switch off.
6. Garnish with coriander and serve hot with steamed rice, a dollop of ghee accompanied with potato fry or papads.