India boasts of innumerable varieties of vegetarian and non-vegetarian dishes. punjabi rasoi has mouth watering dishes served with Indian breads like roti, parathas and poori. This is a traditional dish that shows the flavours of punjab, India. I love to eat punjabi foods. Though all the dishes I tried out are very good, I keep coming back to chole again and again. This is simple and easy to prepare.
Chole (Kabuli chana) - 1 cup.
onions - 2 (chopped length wise)
tomatoes - 2 (chopped)
chillie powder - 1 tb sp
turmeric powder - 1 t sp
chana masala - 2 t sps (any Indian brand would do)
amchur powder - 1/2 t sp (any Indian brand would do)
salt to taste
water - 1 cup
1. Soak chana for 5 hours and pressure cook with 2 cups of water till 5 whistles come out.
2. drain water from cooked chana and set aside.
3. Take 2 tb sps of boiled chana, chopped tomato. Grind to smooth paste and set aside.
4. heat 1 tb sp of oil in a pan, add onions and fry for 4 minutes till soft.
5. add remaining chana, turmeric powder, chillie powder, salt, chana masala, amchur powder and fry for 2 minutes in low flame. cover the lid for 3 mts in low flame.
6. remove the lid, add the ground tomato-chana paste/puree, and 1 cup of water. Bring it to boil and lower the flame. cover the pan with a lid and allow to cook till the gravy turns thick.
7. garnish with coriander and serve hot with poori or chapathi.