pesarattu - upma - allam pacchadi (moong dal dosa,upma with ginger chutney)
pesarattu - upma is one of the tastiest and traditional breakfast of Andhra Pradesh. Its made with moong dal or green gram lentil (also called pesalu in telugu). This tastes well with ginger chutney.
Ingredients for pesarattu (moong dal dosa)
moong dal - 2 cups
ginger - 1 inch piece
green chillies - 8
salt - 2 tb sp
cumin seeds - 2 tsps (also called jeera)
oil/ghee - 4 tb sps
Toppings for pesarattu
onions - 4 (finely chopped)
green chillies - 4 (finely chopped)
1. Soak moong dal over night, Next day drain the water, add 8 green chillies, ginger piece, 2 tb sps of salt and grind into smooth paste adding little water.
2. Remove the batter add jeera (cumin seeds) to the batter.soaked moong dal in water
Ingredients for upma
sooji (upma ravva) - 1 cup
onions - 2 (cut into slits)
green chillies - 6 to 8
chana dal - 2 tb sps (senagapappu)
urad dal - 1 tb sps (minapappu)
mustard seeds - 1 tsp
ginger - 1/2 inch piece (chopped)
oil - 2 tb sps
ghee - 1 tb sp
curry leaves - 1 sprig
water - 2 cups
salt to taste.
1. Heat oil & ghee in a kadhai. Add chana dal, urad dal, mustard seeds, curry leaves and fry for 3 mts. Add slit onions, chopped ginger, curry leaves and green chillies.
2. Fry them till onions turn soft.
3. Add 2 cups of water and salt and bring it to boil (you can test if the salt is sufficient or not by tasting the water. if the water is salty to taste, it indicates that salt would be sufficient after adding upma rava, otherwise add little more salt to water.) 4. when the water comes to boil, turn the flame to low, slowly pour upma rava while stirring it with another hand to avoid lumps.(see the picture given below)
5. Turn the flame off and cover with a lid for 4 mts. serve hot with pesarattu.
chana dal - 3 tb sps (also called senagapappu)
urad dal - 3 tb sps (also called minapappu)
coriander seeds - 1 tb sp (also called dhaniyalu)
jeera - 1 tsp
tamarind - big lemon size
ginger - 3 inch piece (a big piece cut into small pieces)
green chillies - 15 to 17 (slit length wise)
jaggery - 2 cubes (alternatively sugar can also be used)
oil - 3 tb sps
salt to taste
1. Heat oil in a pan and fry chana dal, urad dal, coriander seeds, jeera, green chillies for 3 mts in high flame
2. add ginger pieces to it and fry for another 2 mts in low flame. switch off the flame.
3. allow this mixture to cool, add tamarind, jaggery, salt and grind to smooth paste adding water.
4. serve it with pesarattu - upma.